Al has fished as long as he can remember and has been fascinated with flies almost as long. Growing up in southern Michigan he fished primarily for warm water species, but remembers feeling magic in trout and trout flies. Al recalls making “flies” including forming his own “hooks” out of pipe cleaners. He took his first formal tying class in 1983 after moving to California. Since then he’s tied flies and fly fished for trout, grayling, bass, pike, panfish, catfish, carp, steelhead, salmon, bonefish, permit, snook, redfish and other species.
Currently Al and his wife Diana own and operate Al Ritt Flies. Al is a fly tying instructor as well as a destination travel host. As Brand Manager for PEAK Fishing, a manufacturer of premium quality fly tying vises and equipment and bamboo rod making planing forms and tools, his duties entail sales/marketing, product development and customer service.
- Al is the Brand Manager for PEAK Fishing and PEAK Outdoors
- Al is Owner/Operator of Al Ritt Flies
- Al is author of the book 25 Best Most Versatile Flies (Stonefly Press)
- Al is Fly Tying Editor for Fly Fusion Magazine and Department Editor for Fly Fishing & Tying Journal
- Al has written articles for Fly Fusion, Fly Fishing and Tying Journal, Fly Tyer and Hatches Magazines
- Al is a domestic/international destination travel host
- Al was profiled in Colorado Trout Flies; Great Patterns and the Remarkable People Who Tie Them by Todd Hosman (Streamside Press), The Master’s Fly Box by David Klausmeyer (Globe Pequot) and contributed tips for Better Flies Faster by David Klausmeyer (Stackpole Books)
- Al has patterns featured in 100 Best Flies for Montana Trout by Thomas R Pero (Wild River Press), Modern Midges by Rick Takahashi and Jerry Hubka (Headwater Books), 100 Best Flies for Colorado Trout by Thomas R Pero (Wild River Press) and A Fly Fisher’s Guide to Rocky Mountain National Park by Steven B Schwietzer (Pixachrome Publishing), 101 Favorite Dry Flies by David Klausmeyer (Skyhorse Publishing) and Tying Heritage Featherwing Streamers by Sharon Wright (Stackpole Books)
- Al is a fly designer for Montana Fly Company
Al is a member of The Outdoor Writers Association of America, Trout Unlimited, a life member of the International Federation of Fly Fishers and a life member the IFFF Fly Tying Group, A member of the Catskill Fly Tyer’s Guild and The Fly Dressers Guild.
As a demonstration tier Al has appeared at numerous fly shops and expos including The Fly Fishing Show in Denver CO, Somerset NJ, Lynnwood WA and Pleasanton CA, The International Fly Tyer’s Symposium in Somerset NJ, the International Sportsman’s Expo in Denver CO, the IFFF Annual Fly Fishing Fair in Loveland CO, West Yellowstone MT and Spokane WA, New Mexico TU Fly Tying Expo in Albuquerque NM, East Idaho IFFF Fly Tying Expo in Idaho Falls ID, Black Canyon Fly Fishing Show in Montrose CO, Western Colorado Fly Tying Expo in Grand Junction CO, West Denver TU Fly Tying Expo in Golden CO, IFFF Southern Council Conclave in Mountain Home AR and the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo in Warren MI.
Al Ritt Flies